The criteria for membership require the completion of a postsecondary qualification requiring at least two, preferably three, years of full time study and resulting in the award of a degree or diploma which provides a pathway to postgraduate study. The following will be eligible for membership of AFGW:
(1) Any woman holding a degree from an accredited Australian higher education or tertiary institution.
(2) Any woman holding another tertiary qualification recognised by the Australian Qualifications Framework as equivalent to or higher than a Bachelor Degree. Relevant TAFE qualifications would be Advanced Diploma, Graduate Diploma, Graduate Certificate, Vocational Graduate Diploma, Vocational Graduate Certificate. Every member is a graduate of a recognized institution of higher learning; a graduate with a strong belief in action, fellowship and creating opportunities for other women.
AFGW members are women from many different walks of life; from many areas of Australia and overseas; with diverse interests, skills and ability; with a keen interest in areas such as education, social justice, the environment, the economy and the arts.
Every member possesses a unique perspective and energy and has her own tale to tell. We have among us lawyers who have practiced in diverse areas of law; teachers, principals and lecturers across the whole spectrum of education from pre-school to tertiary. Our members from the health care sector include doctors, pharmacists, nursing specialists, psychiatrists and psychologists. Commerce, business administration and economics are also well represented with economic advisors and administrators in the private and government sectors, accountants and marketing consultants while science is represented by, among others, microbiologists, biochemists, veterinary scientists, physicists, chemists and researchers.Those with a penchant for the Arts include several recreational writers, published authors, librarians, translators, artists, silversmiths, music lovers and devotees of the whole cross section of the performing arts.
While membership involvement is a priority of the organisation, it is recognised that not all women have the time to commit to branch, STA or national initiatives but wish to enjoy the friendship, networking opportunities and stimulation of AFGW meetings and activities. Their membership is still valued. New members are always welcome and their contribution valued and greatly appreciated.
Membership of GWI offer individual members opportunities to:
- Gain an international perspective of women’s issues
- Belong to an influential international non-governmental organisation
- Access an international network of educated women around the world
- Participate in regional and global GWI conferences, seminars and training
- Promote your personal expertise by presenting papers, workshops or seminars
- Gain support for the development of a national association of graduate women to bring your national perspective to policy on women’s issues at the international level
- The annual subscription fee (based on calendar year) is 100 Swiss francs.
- There is a reduced rate of 50 Swiss francs for women residing in countries with a low per capita GNI. See the list of countries that qualify. Please note that this is based on country of residency and not country on origin.
- Payment may be made only in Swiss francs or US dollars. GWI does not waive fees. Please note that refunds will not be issued therefore please ensure that you pay the correct fee according to your country of residence.
- Often national fees are the same or lower than the independent member fee. The single membership fee you would pay to the NFA would cover both your national and GWI membership. National members have the added benefit of contacts with graduate women at the local and national level and you can participate in activities and meetings in your country of residence.
To join as an Independent member, click here Independent Members Application Form
If you wish to renew your independent membership, click here Renewal Form